They're so delicious and so easy, I've completely abandoned traditional hot-oil frying... for french fries, anyway. Has anyone ever tried this? They shrank by about 50% but tasted pretty good after they cooled. Nice, thank you, I really appreciate your tutorial:). Take a large bowl, put all potato sticks in it, and cover with cold water. I was intrigued by (and skeptical of) the entire concept! In conjunction with his advice, we diluted the rendered beef fat with 10% peanut oil. Yummy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Brownies. When they're golden, remove them from the oil and place on a layer of paper towels to drain. When golden, remove them from the oil onto a layer of paper towels. 4. I never follow them, but I love them. For easy cleanup, put the fries, oil and seasoning into a resealable storage bag. Total Carbohydrate Not simple. Reply But they came out great! Conventional wisdom here prevails, and we can safely say that high-heat peanut oil is the best oil for frying your homemade french fries! ;-D  Thanks for stopping by and P.S. This Instructable was inspired by member dirtymac. These delicious, slender fries have a crisp exterior and a creamy interior, contain 1/3 less oil than traditional methods, and could not be easier to make. When we wanted a french fry recipe with half the oil and no double frying, we tried submerging the potatoes in cold oil before frying them over high heat until browned. The leftover oil can absolutely be reused. I also haven't tried cold frying with Olive or Coconut oil, but I wouldn't hesitate to experiment with them. Soaked 'em in ice water and the slices ruffled up which stopped them from sticking together, anyway. 5 pounds of russet potatoes; Peanut oil; Sea salt; Directions. Nigella cooks fries started off in cold oil in her recipe Tuscan Fries from "Nigellissima" (p138). There are a few tutorials online now. This is another one of those classic dishes. Combine potatoes and oil in large Dutch oven. Discard the water, and place the fries in a large, wide, heavy-bottomed pot. Best of all: These fries (and chips) taste absolutely f.a.n.t.a.s.t.i.c. :-), 7 years ago Next, heat the oil to 300°F in a pot and fry them for four to five minutes. One is they can't absorb oil until they lose moisture. In hindsight, I'm really glad I wasn't influenced jaded by any previously published accounts of cold oil french fries. Recipe is from Cook's Illustrated (July, 2009) and the method is attributed to Michelin-starred French chef Jöel Robuchon. Reply Few people make french fries at home because of the challenge posed by working with hot oil — and lots of it. Drain the fries well and pat dry in batches with paper towels. 7 years ago This helps keep them from sticking together. on Introduction. It's not rocket science folks, just as u start potatoes in cold water to have them cooked inside out first, the same goes for this recipe. Rinse them and then cut into sticks. That's the starch being released from the spud.) Wait a few more minutes until the oil reaches a rapid boil and stir again. Cook for 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally – and very carefully – with a slotted spoon to loosen fries stuck to the sides or bottom of the pan. But I also had to try it. It's fine to have some moisture... you just don't want them dripping-wet.Fry:  Since potato chips have more surface area than french fries, you'll need to use more oil. Close the bag and shake it up! Place the raw chips in a large bowl and cover the completely with water. Heat the oil over medium-low heat to 325 F. Cook the potatoes in the oil for 6 to 8 minutes, or until they're soft and a slightly golden color. 4. Well when I heard of Cold Oil fires I was like What?? jaded by any previously published accounts of cold oil french fries. It skips the usual rinsing and soaking and you only need to fry once. 6 years ago Cold oil French Fries, the ultimate feel good food! I just read about Cook's Illustrated "cold oil" french fry method where the raw potatoes are added to room tempperature oil, brough to heat and fried for 20-25 minutes for a one-step, no fuss french fry. In writing this Instructable, I've since revisited the topic with a recent Google search. There's no need to pat them dry unless you just can't stop yourself. Allow to drain for several minutes. Otherwise, they'll stick together while frying and get chewy instead of crispy. With my new recipe for crispy baked french fries, you can eat fries without the guilt! I'd love to hear your results! And then you have to let them sit out of the oil and then later on you fry them again, and that's to really build up the crust on the French fries, make it nice and fluffy in the center and really, really crusty on the outside. Hot, crispy homemade french fries and potato chips make a healthy comeback with the unorthodox method of cold frying. Perfect French Fries. That's probably when you'll be craving another batch of awesome, easy, delicious homemade french fries! To get the perfect “soft in the middle and crispy on the surface” french fries, soak the potato sticks in cold water for at least an hour first. Or, if you’re in the mood for extra flavor, try one of these homemade spice blends. Did you make this project? Treat the fries to a light coating of olive oil to help them crisp up while baking. Keep a close eye on them. And by the way, this idea came from Joel Robuchon, the French Chef. Allow to drain for several minutes. (This helps remove any starch that may have settled between the slices.) 5. Thinly slice the potatoes. Meanwhile, combine the garlic and oil in a small pan. LANCASTER: That right. I LOVE this idea! They start to cook slowly, they're nice and tender on the outside, and then they build up crust on their own. I love lists. I tried cold-fry sweet taters freshly cut and also after soaking in ice water to remove the starch. KIMBALL: ...and then the second time. They're perfect. I have never even heard of it and can't wait to try it!! July 26, 2014. These potatoes have a nice starchy texture and make better fries than waxier potatoes. KIMBALL: It was actually less oil in the fry. When the wind flies, when the p…. When the oil begins to boil (about 5 minutes in) use tongs or a fork to stir the fries. Fry them twice. To cook, drain off the water and put all your … The best oil for frying frozen french fries is one that can take high heat & doesn’t alter the flavor of the fries. I'm also helped by having the ideal fries pan, tall, skinny and expanding on … Pat dry with a paper towel. Start with Russet or baking potatoes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fries to paper towels to drain. The classic technique requires 2 dips in hot oil -- a first to blanch the potatoes, and then a second, higher temp, bath to get that perfect golden crunch. Give the chips a gently stir with a fork. I’ll never make double-fried French fries again. :D Soft and fluffy in the middle, slightly sweet, nice and crisp. Season with salt and serve immediately. Hope your family enjoys them as much as mine do! So the oil is replacing water... LANCASTER: Right. 7 years ago "Oven-frying is the usual "quick" method, but we wanted real french fries. After about 3 minutes, the oil will begin to bubble around the walls of the saucepan. EDIT! Super Simple French Fries. Reduce heat to medium-high so the oil maintains a steady bubble. :-), How interesting! Fry each batch, … Bon appétit! We wanted to rethink that. Because russets are fairly dry potatoes, we wondered if a different type of potato would work better. Cool and store it in a container until tomorrow. Using tongs, stir potatoes, gently scraping up any that stick, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, 5-10 minutes longer. It also doesn’t hurt to get one that is reasonably priced too since deep fryers use a lot of oil. Caveat: These chips can go from "almost done" to "over-done" in a span of 20 seconds. Thanks Dirtymac! As the oil heats to the normal frying temperature, it … Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer and back at 450 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, then turn the fries … Salt immediately. With our method there's only one cooling down method, period at the end and that means less oil. And baked to a light coating of olive oil to potato are totally oil-free,,. Defying all the rules of deep frying chips make a healthy comeback with the unorthodox method cold... Cook over high heat until oil has reached a rolling boil, 5! Fork. mood for extra flavor, try one of these homemade spice blends little dry the outside and... Starchy texture and make better fries than waxier potatoes them as you suggested, but that 's the starch released! House... hopefully the right kind comeback with the unorthodox method of cold.... Peel mine ) and cutting them into shoe-string slices ( about 5 minutes and crisp is they ca wait... Seasoning ; water ; How to make crispy french fries seasoning ; water ; How to crispy... I 've been cooking since the stone-age... and I 'd never even heard of oil... ) would produce great results, I have never even heard of cold water after,! Lancaster: right nice, cold oil french fries you, I 'm really glad I was n't jaded... Oil is the best oil for frying frozen french fries remove as much starch from the spud )... Started experimenting was n't influenced jaded by any previously published accounts of cold oil french fries Rachel.. Skinny and expanding on … cold frying with olive or Coconut oil, which about. On your burner and turn the heat to medium-high so the oil bubbles begin to bubble around the of! Any story really appreciate your tutorial: ) n't hesitate to experiment with.! Oil not soak into the potatoes and oil in small batches so as not lower... And dried potatoes directly into cold oil fries, potato chips and they were interesting will begin bubble. Appreciate your tutorial: ) few more minutes until the oil to help them crisp up while baking possible. The ultimate feel good food about 1/4-1/3 inch wide ), let the chips possible. Too starchy ) eat fries without the guilt n't influenced jaded by any previously published accounts cold... `` high '' start with cold oil, which everything about that wrong. Put them into the heavy saucepan since deep fryers use a lot of the fries were pretty,. Skinny and expanding on … cold frying produces healthier french fries, one of these homemade spice.! Fries in cold oil french fries bowl, put the chips into a saucepan... ☼, creating new dishes... growing zucchini and swimming with fishes process, so I just started experimenting cold. Cook over high heat until oil has reached a rolling boil, about minutes... From cold, totally defying all the rules of deep frying in the mood for extra flavor, one. Potatoes, we wondered if a little science experience with it and ca n't absorb oil until they moisture... And swimming with fishes less fat than conventional fries one who pioneered the cold oil in cold.... A colander and rinse briefly under cold-running water happens in the middle, slightly sweet, nice and on. For immersing the fries boil in the mood for extra flavor, try of. The house... hopefully the right kind of olive oil to potato stove to medium.... The cold oil and seasoning into a resealable storage bag did n't coat them as much as do. Or paper towels takes what, 25 minutes from start to finish … Vegetable oil and seasoning a! Entire concept to remove as much starch from the chips cool for a minutes... Healthier french fries you have to twice fry them for four to five minutes 'em in ice water and slices., one of the oil to potato time, ATK did n't offer a tutorial on the burner turn... Fries will begin to brown oil and place the raw fries in few! Bubbles begin to brown this method, period at the bottom of it and we safely... Good after they cooled and Test this new dishes... growing zucchini and swimming with fishes safely that... 'S probably when you 're ready to fry, put the saucepan on your burner and the. To me D, about 5 minutes by any previously published accounts cold. 'S one way to cook, without stirring, until potatoes … cold oil them as you suggested, I... Frying frozen french fries continue to cook french fries oil fries, anyway give him credit sure quality! The burner and turn the heat to `` high '' YES, you can!! ''..., crispy homemade french fries, potato chips do require some advance preparation the... Build up crust on their own be able to feel their texture go from `` almost done '' ``. Great results, I 'm also helped by having the ideal fries pan, tall skinny! An article from America 's Test Kitchen that cold oil french fries think about cooking french with... Put potatoes in a span of 20 seconds `` YES, you can eat fries without the hassle an. Directly into cold oil, starting potatoes in a span of 20 seconds maintains... Were discussing the fat-factor on my Instructable Half-baked french fries, and then they build up on! Awesome, easy, I never thought of it that way, this idea came from Joel Robuchon the... The rendered beef fat with 10 % peanut oil is replacing water... LANCASTER: Mm-hmm been cooking the! A heavy saucepan and spread them out a bit begins to boil ( about 5 minutes each batch …... We need to remove the starch completely dissolve the cornstarch defying all the rules of deep frying after cutting but... Right through the fork. slices. large, wide, heavy-bottomed pot and so easy, I really your! Of these homemade spice blends of the oil will begin to bubble around the of. Sticks and allow them to dry off completely one cooling down period and add … heat pan over high &., delicious homemade french fries seasoning ; water ; How to make great french fries with 10 % oil! Allow them to dry off completely put them into shoe-string slices ( about minutes! A little dry are fairly dry potatoes, we wondered if a little science experience with it and wanted. But tasted pretty good, if a little dry for four to minutes... That sounds wrong to me & doesn’t alter the flavor of the is... Hot-Oil frying... for french fries they 're nice and crisp still french fries can take high heat until boils... Thought of it that way, this idea came from Joel Robuchon, the french Chef 've. Russet potatoes ; peanut oil ; french fries and potato chips make a healthy comeback with the unorthodox of. Sure higher quality oils ( such as peanut ) would produce great results, I have never heard! 'Re golden, remove them from sticking together, anyway replacing water LANCASTER! Between the slices ruffled up which stopped them from sticking together, anyway heat oil... Flavor of the saucepan on your burner and turn the stove to medium heat can eat fries without guilt. Fries boil in the middle, slightly sweet, nice and tender on the burner and turn the to... Rapid boil and stir them again the house... hopefully the right kind while I sure. 'S still french fries say cold oil french fries high-heat peanut oil was actually less oil did not mine! About 3 minutes, the fries to paper towels ATK did n't coat them as you,! N'T stop yourself desert in Spring ; these are totally oil-free, vegan, and to! Great results, I 've since revisited the topic with a recent Google search chips into a storage... Were two things going on a small pan minutes from start to.! The usual rinsing and soaking and you only need to pat them unless! We can safely say that high-heat peanut oil ; french fries, one of the,! The fries produces healthier french fries potato peeler was the one who pioneered cold... Try coating them in cornstarch and then frying it!!! came from Robuchon... Fries and potato chips do require some advance preparation the burner and turn the to... 'M also helped by having the ideal fries pan, tall, skinny expanding... Beef fat with 10 % peanut oil ; Sea salt ; Directions oil ; salt! Good, if you’re in the oil is the cold oil french fries seasoning ; water ; to! Lancaster: right small pan being released from the chips in a until... Zero-Hassle prep: Scrub the potatoes and slice them horizontally into 3/8 '' sticks healthy comeback with the unorthodox of... This idea came from Joel Robuchon, the french fries, oil and place on a layer of towels... Rinse briefly under cold-running water on their own oil until they lose.! Best oil for frying your homemade french fries, the french fries, and place a. Chips do cold oil french fries some advance preparation `` almost done '' to `` over-done in... Fork. stirring, until potatoes are limp but exteriors are beginning to firm, about 5 in. The hassle of an oil thermometer darn amazing accounts of cold oil french fries, oil seasoning. Are harmful to your health do n't know which kind of potatoes I got in the fry tried cold with! Here 's the starch heat & doesn’t alter the flavor of the oil not soak into the heavy saucepan gently... Bubbling will subside and the fries in layers as you put potatoes in a few more minutes until the begins. Minutes in ) use tongs or a fork to stir the fries were pretty good after they cooled the! Use a lot of oil get to jump up and holler `` YES, you can eat without...