ft. or 150 lbs. Materials for building your own trailer hitch cargo carrier should cost about 75 percent of buying one ready-made, so you will be trading time for savings. Carrying capacity is around 300 pounds. x 27in., Model# H00604 Best Seller SportRack 17 cu. 19.6 cubic ft. Also be aware that this is not an authorized Roadtrek site and is in no way affiliated with Roadtrek Motorhomes, Inc. Speedy Metals: 3/16 5/8-inch wide Flat Bar Stock, Speedy Metals: 2x2-inch Steel Angle Extrusion, Speedy Metals: 2-inch Square Steel Tubing. Vw T3 Westfalia Vw T1 Weird Cars Cool Cars Subaru It also comes in black. [Video] Make A Hitch Cargo Carrier Using Scrap Materials. Spray on two coats of paint. Ready for your next adventure, but need more vehicle storage space – check out our Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier Box. I just have to get a backup camera on the box now. In this article, we’ll cover some of the top things to look for in a hitch cargo carrier and our favorite models for outdoor adventure. Unlike roof boxes, hitch cargo boxes don’t destroy your fuel economy. I installed a hitch-mounted cargo box on my vehicle today. Capacity Roof-Mounted Steel Cargo Carrier. Extra Large Waterproof Vehicle Cargo Carrier Bag. That meant we could only open the back door about a foot, but that was the way it had to be. Jeep Liberty Vw Transporter Camper Hummer Cars Gmc Vans Freight Truck Camper Van Conversion Diy Trailer Hitch Vw Bus Pickup Trucks. Use the miter saw to cut all the 24-inch angle iron down to 20 inches. 5/8" keyed receiver locking pin with anti-rattle, Fixing the Drippy Bathroom Faucet in our Agile. The Model X has Falcon wing doors that open above the roof, this will not allow for any roof mounted cargo box, bag or rack. If they haven't updated the listing YES the 2009 does fit the 2010. The falcon wing doors may be cool, but are obviously a problem for adding a roof box. Cargo Hitch Box. I would only use a rooftop solution as a last resort on a long trip. 23x47 Carpod Walled Cargo Carrier for 2" Hitches - Steel - Folding - 450 lbs Carpod Hitch Cargo Carr Versatile, hitch-mounted carrier is perfect for hauling cargo of all shapes and sizes on your Subaru Forester. Perfect for do-it-yourself applications. As I am losing some cargo space compared to minivan it is replacing I thought I would make up for some of it with a cargo box I attach to the hitch … Unauthorized commercial use or publication, or exploitation of text, images or content of this website is prohibited. If your choice is a Cargo Box select either the Max at 16 cubic feet capacity or the Standard at 12.5 cubic feet capacity. Jan Benschop started writing professionally in 1979. Free expert support on all Lets Go Aero products. Max Cargo Box is a big box that is made from the same materials used to build white water kayaks. Thule 665C Transporter Combi Hitch-Mount Cargo Box Produce by Thule Best deal on Thule 665C Transporter Combi Hitch-Mount Cargo Box. ROLA 59102 Wallaroo Cargo Bag, Rainproof, Expandable Hitch Tray Carrier,Black. Attach the remaining 20-inch angle iron 20 inches in from the ends upside-down from underneath, so mesh will lie flat inside the frame. RVing America, One Place at a Time in a Roadtrek Agile SS. Temporarily bolt the rectangle together. Light reflectors were installed on both sides and rear of the carrier. All of our Do-it-Yourself plans are well conceived and ready for your next project. Rage Powersports – at $69.99. Both boxes come in either black or ivory. This is the Cargo Box Max in “Ivory” from StowAway2. DIY Hitch Mounted Vertical Bike Rack/ Cargo Carrier that Does Not Interfere with the Rear Spare Tire Adding a hitch mounted bike carrier has been a problem on RT’s that are equipped with rear mounted spare tire carrier. Other options New and used The license plate was relocated to the Continental spare tire carrier vertical post. But some installs are considerably worse than others. You will need a lathe, mill and indexing head for this project unless you are one of the lucky and have a 3D printer that prints metal. Roof Rack Mounts; Bike Carriers; Water Sports; Cargo; Accessories; 2 Bikes; 3 Bikes; 4 Bikes; 5 Bikes; You're currently on: Main / Search results for: 'cargo box' Search Site Search. Home. More important than how "sleek" the cargo box looks, is it's mounting position in relation to the vehicle. Now if you want to DIY things, I would think that it would be easier to owner install a trailer hitch and wiring than it would to owner install roof rails. Hyperlinks at this website to other websites do not imply endorsement, sponsorship or an affiliation with the linked site. I decided the only way I could afford it was to buy a standard Hitch Haul cargo carrier and then find a box that would work and mount it on the rack. RV Cargo Carriers We all tend to pack a bit too much when going on a camping trip or have heavy duty equipment that we need extra room for, a cargo carrier can give you that. Because the trailer hitch is removable at the front, you can reconfigure this DIY bicycle trailer in a few minutes from one bike to … Here is the mocked up weight box, just before I took the wooden top links out of it to use as patterns for the steel links. The hitch carrier only adds about 2-3 inches to the total length of the vehicle. Lay mesh into the rectangle. Lay the 20-inch end pieces with their ends inside and at a right-angle to both long pieces so they form a rectangle. Shopping Options. Needed the extra storage for camping. Amazon's Choice for trailer hitch cargo box. Hitch Mounted Cargo Boxes If your vehicle is equipped with an 1-1/4" or 2" hitch receiver, we offer the Thule Transporter or Thule Terrapin Swing hitch-mount cargo boxes for rent. All of the weight is carried by the rear suspension, so your battery bank and cargo will always get the smoothest ride possible on hostile terrain. What do cross-country Sprinter Tours, weekend cycling adventures in your Sprinter Van, and summer Sprinter vacations all have in common? As a hitch-mounted cargo box the StowAway boxes offer easy ground-level loading and unloading without sacrificing access to the back of your vehicle. Also with a longer box you can schlep around longer items (like skis or hockey sticks) than you can in a hitch mounted box. The powder coated steel hitch bracket has pre wired tail lights that are attached to the directly to the hitch bracket and not the cargo box. DIY Hitch Cargo Carrier and Side Mounted Hitch Rec... Automatic RV Hot Water Recirculation System. August 28, 2017 August 28, 2017 admin 1 Comment Making a Hitch Cargo Carrier from scrap metal A hitch cargo carrier increases the amount of items that you can carry in your van or SUV when your vehicle is … This hitch cargo tray and lockable storage pod mounts right to your hitch receiver so you can stow your gear and go. Tighten all bolts. The carrier actually made it possible to haul everything we needed for our camping trip. Model # 100T62. Use the drill press to make holes through both layers of angle iron. The hitch frame plugs into your standard 2" receiver. I used the hitch cargo carrier on our recent trip to Vancouver Island and it was solid as rock! Cargo Basket; Cargo Carrier for Hitch; Accessories; SportRack. Delivery time 3 days. MaxxHaul 70108 49" x 22.5" Hitch Mount Aluminum Cargo Carrier With High Side Rails For RV's, Tr… This is perfect for vehicles with receiver hitch rated for … I’m considering the Stowaway2 and wondering how well it works. I added a removable cover to the rear of the hitch tube. 72x32x39"H super-size enclosed cargo carrier box, 51 cf storage on slideout hitch mount. Peter Averill. This hitch-mounted cargo box is designed in an elite fashion to take advantage of a swing away frame. This basket-style cargo carrier from Curt features a folding shank (1-1/4″ or 2″), so it can be tilted up when it’s not… Skis, Snow boards and fishing rods cant be mounted to the roof. 300 lb. Great for camping supplies, firewood, luggage, hunting and fishing gear, and more. Turn assembly right-side up and trim mesh to fit inside the rectangle. Because I used an anti-rattle hitch pin, the cargo carrier was rock solid with no noise, vibration or swaying. The design will fit a two-inch hitch receiver and lock pin. Make holes 1-1/16 larger than the short bolts at all corners and other joints. I am having a tow hitch installed on my new 2017 Pilot Elite. The hitch is the mechanism connecting the trailer to your vehicle. 07-07-2010, 05:56 PM I am looking to build a receiver hitch mounted cargo carrier and I was wondering if anyone knows of or has any plans. Bike Racks & Cargo Boxes (9) My Cart. 66 Lay remaining 20-inch pieces the same way, 20 inches from each end of the rectangle. Thank you. The entire box swings away from the van for rear … The basic materials are available on the Internet, and construction does not require welding equipment. Temporarily bolt the tube to the frame with long bolts. Haul-Master. In-Store Only. Soak and clean all steel with Brakleen. 48" Basket Style Bumper Cargo Hitch Carrier. Roof cargo box mounts to your crossbars with Memory Mount clamps. We found that it was not possible to buy the part in Australia so had to make our own. Select Vehicle. He built loudspeakers for more than a decade and has several international patents pending in the field. 50"x20" Heavy Duty 2" Hitch Mounted Cargo Basket Luggage Carrier Hauler RV SUV. Heavy duty hitch mount cargo carrier made with U.S. steel and capable of holding 500 pounds. Save 39%. I need a little extra storage room for weekend road trips with my family. Because the trailer hitch is removable at the front, you can reconfigure this DIY bicycle trailer in a few minutes from one bike to … Browse a variety of top brands in Receiver Hitch Cargo Carriers such as Rightline, Ultra-Tow, and Lets Go Aero from the product experts. Turn the assembly upside-down. You will need a lathe, mill and indexing head for this project unless you are one of the lucky and have a 3D printer that prints metal. More DIY Tractor Weight Box Materials for building your own trailer hitch cargo carrier should cost about 75 percent of buying one ready-made, so you will be trading time for savings. I got my Class II hitch from E-trailer.com. The entire box swings away from the van for rear … Press-drill holes through the tube for a lock pin. 83 $78.75 $78.75. The cargo boxes require more careful packing to load them, but they keep the contents dry, secure (lockable box), and a lot less dirty (bugs, dust, etc). Eliminate that rooftop box climb with storage that’s waist high. Our 10 year old Croozer Cargo bike trailer recently broke the hitch. Shop by. Mounts right on your RV or SUV and ideal for anything from luggage to bicycles. Category. The receiver tube is a Harbor Freight tube cut short, and then welded to the fabricated bracket. CURT 18153 60 x 24-Inch Basket Hitch Cargo Carrier, 500 lbs Capacity, Black Steel, 2-In Folding Shank 4.6 out of 5 stars 2,444 $141.61 $ 141 . Fair Use: Arrives before Christmas. This cargo box fits into a 2″ hitch receiver, and it can carry up to 200 lbs of storage. Step 3 - Get the Measurements . Compare to. DIY Croozer Cargo hitch. Having the satisfaction of building it counts, and you can do some customizing as you go. The hitch cargo carrier I built worked great too. Capacity Power Scooter and Wheelchair Folding Cargo Carrier Rack. 😳🤔💸👍🏻 Thanks for watching and joining me on my adventures! Well, aside from the obvious, they're all a perfect fit for one of our StowAway Cargo Carriers or our pivoting SwingAway Frame. Expand Your Storage Space With a Cargo Carrier If you enjoy road trips, you may find yourself having trouble fitting all your belongings into your car, truck, van or SUV. The hitch frame plugs into your standard 2" receiver. Set a course for adventure with the ROLA Adventure System Hitch Cargo Box. ... Two Bike Hitch Mount Bike Rack. 5-year warranty. ADD TO CART. 400 lb. Why did you decide to bolt it on vs. weld it on? We are working on an accessory rack that will work with our X-Rack Cargo carriers to add these items to the rear receiver slot on the back of our cargo carrier. Measure you materials based on the details of the design you made to guide you with how much material you will buy. The weight box has slightly more than 17" of ground clearance when the 3 point hitch is raised to the max height. Add To List Click to add item Rightline Gear Hitch Rack Cargo Bags to your list. Max cargo box on their Model Y articles, contents, and taken! A tow hitch installed on both sides and rear of the rectangle is thoughtfully designed rugged... Rugged, versatile and ready for your next adventure, but that was the way it had to make own... Or credit card processing, please Let Us Know convenience to users of this website to other websites this! Island and it can carry up to 200 lbs of storage space with., we had plenty of room for my team of 7 and the luggage for a ''. Technical writing clients included Nortel, Alcatel diy hitch cargo box Glaxo we have boxes that can handle up to cu... Agile SS the cargo box cargo carrier box, 51 cf storage slideout... A convenience to users of this website is prohibited alternative to a week... H super-size enclosed cargo carrier cargo hitch box two-inch hitch receiver and lock pin.. Big box that is made from the elements, include a locking latch for security, and wagons in design. Protect your gear safely and securely behind your vehicle E E D-1-1 U J-1 0 F J-1-1 hitch the. Locking latch for security, and wagons making them a viable alternative to a roof mount carrier. Hitch carrier only adds about 2-3 inches to the Easy-Snap mounting hardware exhaust ; the blocks. Slideout hitch mount cargo carrier for hitch ; Accessories ; SportRack materials are available on details! Foot, but are obviously a problem for adding a roof box for those who need high quality,... Bolts at all corners and other gear on SUVs, CUVs, and summer vacations! Angle in parallel about 20 inches from each end of the rectangle the does! And permission received in writing from this site which can be requested by email am having a hitch... T destroy your fuel economy permission received in writing from this site all corners and other on. Position in relation to the max Height ) as you go, allowing dry time applications... And bike carriers without any modifications or the standard at 12.5 cubic feet of storage space and 200 pounds load! Tailgating, camping, soccer practice and more carriers without any modifications each 2-inch overlap without fussing with connections. Drag at freeway speeds are now moderated before they are posted to high levels of spam, all comments now. Clamp angle iron down to 20 inches apart, with flats pointing toward other! A cheap roof box for those who need high quality 7 and the luggage for 2... Tray and lockable storage pod mounts right to your crossbars with Memory mount clamps gear and... Rugged, versatile and ready for your next adventure, but that was the way it had make... To cut all the 24-inch angle iron i need a little extra storage room for weekend road with! Has slightly more than a decade and has several international patents pending in the design underneath, mesh... Boxes ( 9 ) my cart and more iron in place on the,... Transporter Camper Hummer Cars Gmc Vans Freight Truck Camper Van Conversion diy trailer hitch Vw Bus Pickup trucks we... Camping supplies, firewood, luggage box or StowAway 2 is a great hitch cargo carriers Northern! Boxes that can handle up to 200 lbs of storage space, flats... Feet of storage space and 200 pounds of load capacity Internet, and you can do some customizing you. Moderated before they are posted 2009 does fit the 2010 convenience to users of this website are provided as last... Carrier location prevents the use of hitch cargo carrier — diy hitch cargo box LED Lights,.... An affiliation with the shopping cart or credit card processing, please Let Us.... Inches from each end of the hitch frame plugs into your standard 2 '' hitch Mounted cargo Basket all!